Biosolids are nutrient-rich organic materials produced during the biological and physical treatment of wastewater. Land application of biosolids is recycling in its simplest form.
The benefits derived from this land application are:
• Returning resources back into nature’s cycle
• Utilizing waste as a resource rather than landfill or incineration
• Adding nutrients to the soil that may not be added by commercial fertilizers
• Improving soil structure and overall soil fertility
• Treated biosolids contain the tree primary crop nutrients: Nitrogen, Phosphorus and
They also contain several nutrients that crops need in smaller amounts:
Sulfur, magnesium, manganese, iron, calcium, copper and zinc. These nutrients are not found in most commonly used commercial fertilizers.
Organic matter in biosolids releases nitrogen and other nutrients over several growing season, while chemical fertilizers are much more quickly removed from the root zone by water trickling through the soil. Organic matter also improves soil structure, increasing its ability to absorb and hold moisture.
The Ogunquit Sewer District has an extensive Biosolids program, which has been in operation for the past 10 years. We work closely with the farmers during testing, monitoring and application, all of which is done by district personnel.